I finally went back to Mass over Labor Day Weekend. I admit my absence was partially my being lazy but a lot of the reason was facing my grief. Church has always been a very spiritual place for me, where I often tear up. So, I knew my return would bring up a lot for me. With the start of CCD for my children I guess you can say there was a big boot on my butt pushing me back. But that's life, right? Of course upon my return 4 out of the 6 songs that day were songs from my Mom's funeral! Needless to say, I was pretty happy I didn't know anyone!
The point is, I was so happy I chose that day to return to Church. A new Priest joined my parish here. To try to describe him is words would be very difficult. You just have to take my word for it that he is very different from the Priests I am use to (not meant in a good or bad way at all). When it came time for the Homily I was so interested in what he had to say, and I was not disappointed. To paraphrase he pointed out that as humans our nature is to stick close to people who believe the same things we do, who value the same things we do. Now this makes sense if you think about it. Like minded people moving in little pods together. But what he pointed out was if we live like this always, without taking a chance to converse with someone outside this pod (I'm calling it a pod by that way) we are missing out on opportunities for growth. He asked that we just simply listen to the thoughts and opinions of others. We don't have to share them, adopt them, live them, but we should at least listen. It's the act of listening that affords US an opportunity to grow within our own lives. Think about how quick you may be to defend your way of thinking...is that out of some fear of letting go?
I like to listen to the thoughts and opinions of others. And I do sometimes find myself swayed by their words. At points in my life I took this as a weakness within myself. Almost like I wasn't standing by my beliefs in a strong enough way. As I matured I realized that wasn't true. I started to see the world through my own heart. (Insert plug for the Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz, please read).
I am still working hard on learning my own heart but I really loved the way this Priest expressed the importance of the art of listening. Give yourself permission to at least listen, with an open mind. Then, look within your heart, have the courage to change if it feels authentic to you, trust your inner voice.
Namaste Dear Friends!
Inspirational Thought/Tidbits for and about Life
"The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind." ~James Trunslow Adams
"One thing: you have to walk, and create the way by your walking; you will not find a ready-made path." ~Osho
"One thing: you have to walk, and create the way by your walking; you will not find a ready-made path." ~Osho
Check out this awesome studio! Take a class, get to know the amazing instructors and enjoy your journey of self discovery, pinklotusnj.com
Church still brings me to tears. I don't know why. But after nearly 20 years, it does. I suspect it is because I've never put your words of wisdom to use. Once I sweep something under the run I REALLY like to leave it there. :) Thanks for sharing. Hope next week's mass brings new reflection and steps forward.
ReplyDelete