Friday, September 4, 2015

What paralyzes you?

One thing I know about myself -  I have a hard time expressing my own truth, really standing up for myself. I tend toward the side of keeping the peace, not rocking the boat as they say. This is a very paralyzing way to be. I can almost feel the words and phrases trapped in my throat, just wanting to work their way out. I've been working on this about myself for a while now, years actually. My Yoga practice has helped me tremendously but with this transition time in my life I find myself falling back into the patterns of behavior I used before to keep myself safe. Even typing this is hard for me, I feel the urge to stop as this is deeply personal. 

As a result of this...shall we say aspect of my personality...I tend to draw people to me who eventually take advantage of me. I, with my infinite desire to make people happy and stay quiet, become an easy target. Little by little I find myself cowering in these relationships which is definitely not good on the self-esteem front!  

I could type and type away on this topic but that's not the point of my blog. The point is for each of us to recognize aspects of ourselves, both positive and negative, as our path of self-study. Truly look at what paralyzes you in your own life and work to remove that obstacle. I've really come to realize over the last few years that I  can continue to cower, allow myself to be taken advantage of, in one way or another, stop forging relationships, stop trusting people. OR, I can learn from these relationships, almost feel grateful for their place in my life as an opportunity to grow. You see, here's the thing, I like people, I enjoy having relationships with people. I have a big heart and I want to continue to allow my circle to grow.

My growth will come from trusting my instincts, listening to my inner voice and stopping this pattern of relationships before they get too far in my life. The crazy thing is, even with this hanging out there in my life, I also have some of the most wonderful people in my circle. People who fit like puzzle pieces in my life. Huh, maybe that's the lesson...life is all about balance right.  The good and the bad, the yin and the yang. Remember, life is about creating yourself!


Namaste My Dear Friends.

Inspirational Thought/Tidbits for and about Life

"The posture of Yoga is steady and easy, firm and soft." Marianne Wells' translation of The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali

This is my favorite of all the Yoga Sutras. I repeat this to myself often, as a mantra, throughout my physical practice. Now I am beginning to enjoy it as a metaphor for life. As we self reflect, see aspects of ourselves we would like to modify, relax your efforts a bit, hold steady and firm on the path but allow yourself to move forward with softness and ease.

Check out this awesome studio! Take a class, get to know the amazing instructors and enjoy your journey of self discovery, pinklotusnj.com



No comments:

Post a Comment