Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Lessons I Learned in Walmart

Yup, you read the subject of this blog correctly. Sometimes, you learn a lot about yourself in the most unexpected places. For me, it was Walmart. I was preparing for a Thanksgiving week full of visitors. With much excitement and enthusiasm, I carefully planned my menus and entertainment. The best place for me to get everything I need under one roof is the superstore known as Walmart. Sadly, we do not have Target in Somerset, *sigh*. Long, long list in hand I headed out on my adventure. The length of the list was weighing heavily on me but I was determined to enjoy the shopping experience.

Things were going quite well except for the disappointing fact that Walmart doesn't sell soft bread for stuffing making, shallots or Gruyere cheese. But, I am not to be deterred. I can simply pick those items up at my calm and quiet grocery store. I did notice for a Thursday, late morning, this place was packed! I figured I was getting a jump on the holiday shoppers since I was so prepared with my list a week ahead of time. Apparently, I wasn't the only person in Kentucky with this idea.

My happy mood began to shift as I turned down the aisle with baking needs. My daughter decided she wants to make a three tiered cake to serve as dessert on Thanksgiving. I am not a baker people, not even from a box! My one attempt at a cake was for my Mom's birthday years ago, she ended up with something like a birthday pancake. Not only is my daughter invested in the three layer idea, she also wants to turn the vanilla layer orange in keeping with the Fall colors. If the panic from this baking prospect wasn't enough, the sheer terror I felt entering this aisle was enough to put we over the edge! At least 90% of the shoppers were in this aisle, vying for positions closest to the shelf. A group of women were debating the merit of store bought fontana vs. homemade. They may as well have been speaking Greek! Ducking and pushing, I grabbed my boxed mixes and pre-packaged whipped frosting. Quickly scanning the food dye, I was mildly disappointed to realize the store did not carry orange but not patient and secure enough to figure out which two colors to combine to make this color. (Special thanks to my sister for decoding that for me).

By the time I clawed my way to the end of the aisle, using my cart to push people out of my way (don't judge, it was seriously every man, woman and child for themselves!), I was barely getting enough oxygen to my brain to stay upright! There was literal sweat running down my back as if I just ran a marathon in 100 degree weather with 85% humidity. What is the point of my story you may ask? Well, here it is...


  1. First, I have never been a fan of crowds. They make me extremely nervous and very sweaty. I am one of those people who Christmas shops early and just goes to the mall during holiday shopping time to enjoy the ambiance. I always assumed the crowd thing bothered me because I am vertically challenged. Who knows?! If you ever ask me to go to a concert with you the answer will be NO! Unless we are in a respectable, crowd controlled theater.
  2. Second, I'm really not a person who can shop for many items, with many planned meals, well in advance. I think I was meant to live in a small city apartment with minimal storage which requires me to pop into the market every day or two. Although the crowd thing might be a problem in the city!
At the end of the day, obviously, I survived this "harrowing" experience at the superstore known as Walmart. I did have to call my sister when I got in the car but that resulted in the the solution to the "Great Food Dye Case", so all is OK! Self study is about seeing yourself within the situations of your life. Really, truly seeing yourself. What you find is part of the journey. This isn't the first time a large crowd has thrown me off and it won't be the last. For me, I will shop differently next time, or perhaps bring a shopping partner. Take a moment to look at your own life, come up with a plan when you need one, and most importantly, be okay with where you are along the way!

Namaste My Dear Friends!

Inspirational Thought/Tidbits for and about Life

In salute to the superstore, Walmart, I thought I'd give you a little history.

  1. Walmart opened in 1962! The first store was in Arkansas.
  2. Walmart is now the largest retail store in the world. IN THE WORLD!!!!
  3. This company employs over 2 million people world-wide. Thank you Walmart.
Check out this awesome studio! Take a class, get to know the amazing instructors and enjoy your journey of self discovery, pinklotusnj.com

If you enjoy my blog, please follow my great friend, Kelly, at Mind-Body-Soul Living.

No comments:

Post a Comment