Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Community

This past weekend life shifted a little bit for me in Kentucky. Friday, Julia and I went with some new friends the see the ballet in Lexington. James was invited to spend the weekend with a great new friend he met at school. Saturday we spent the day going to various community football games followed by a pumpkin carve and bar-b-que at a friend of Julia's house. We went to church on Sunday and a family we have been chatting with after mass asked us to come to dinner this week. Now, why the heck am I giving you the run down of our social activities?! Well, it's to lead to the purpose of my blog today!

One of the things I noticed through my reflection/self study time is I really miss the feeling of community that we had in Woodstown. I even "unfollowed" a lot of places and events because seeing the posts on Facebook made me so sad. For a place to feel like home, it's important to become part of something. As an adult I tend to find this more difficult than I did as a kid. I mean, really, am I suppose to walk up to someone at the grocery store and ask them to be my friend?! But, it's not an impossible undertaking.

My Mom gave me a piece of advice after we made the decision to move. She told me to say YES to every invitation that comes our way. With a yes here and a yes there, you meet more and more people. Those of you who know me well know that "yes" isn't an easy thing for me. Believe it or not, I am shy. Putting myself out there is a scary thing for me. So, once again, I am forced out of my comfort zone. I laugh a little at this advice because I realize once again how well my Mom knew me! She knew it would take courage for me to find my way. 

Meeting new people this weekend and connecting a little bit more with people I have already met truly helped me feel more ingrained in the community. I look forward to continuing to grow the relationships I have found here and creating new ones. So, if you are like me, and putting yourself out there in the world seems scary, take my Mom's advice. Say YES! 

Inspirational Thought/Tidbits for and about Life

I love this Christopher Robin quote to Winnie The Pooh, "You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." 

I'm traveling to New Jersey this week and will be teaching at Pink Lotus Friday morning at 9:15!!!  I would love to see as many of you as I can. 

Keep working to discover more about yourself and if you are in South Jersey visit this amazing yoga studio where everyone is at home! Take a class, get to know the amazing instructors and enjoy your journey of self discovery, pinklotusnj.com

If you enjoy my blog, please follow my great friend, Kelly, at Mind-Body-Soul Living.

No comments:

Post a Comment