Friday, August 21, 2015

Where do I go from here?

To be honest, I wasn't sure after my first blog where to go from there. I've spent a few days, okay a week, pondering. I decided in the morning to take my pondering on a walk around my new neighborhood. It's fairly large with a lot of roads that end in cul-de-sacs. The perfect setting for a peaceful, walking mediation. Not to mention a great butt lift from all the enormous hills!  Sneakers laced I began my journey.

From road to road I could not seem to get away from the garbage truck!  At first I was completely annoyed because it was loud and smelled awful. Hey, it was completely interrupting my Zen moment!  Then, a light bulb began to float above my head as I remembered that great story, first told to me by my mentor, Marianne Wells, that I shared in many a Yoga class. The story is called The Law of the Garbage Truck. If you haven't read it before it is definitely worth googling (when did that become an actual word)...

ANYWAY, the gist of the story is, people can dump their trash on you all day long, it's up to you whether or not you allow their figurative garbage to impact you and if you do are you going to spread that trash elsewhere. Much like the bad friend of paying it forward. So, as I really begin to think about this journey of self-study I realized my first reaction to the garbage truck was annoyance and anger. Once the light bulb appeared I began to change my view.  Here is what I learned:


  1. My neighborhood remains a beautiful place to live because of the people working on the truck.
  2. The people who work on these trucks are some of the hardest working people I have seen. It was very hot outside, they were all wearing long pants, long sleeves, boots and gloves!  Imagine the heat for them. And, then think about the winter!  YIKES!
  3. Collecting trash seems like a thankless job. Next time you encounter your trash collector, smile, wave and say thank you. 


So, the lesson for me today wasn't new really, it was/is a reminder, be careful where you allow your mind to go. Keep feeding the negative thoughts and life will follow that path. Change your outlook, smile, appreciate, enjoy and feel the impact this has on your body, mind, and spirit! I am grateful the garbage truck became part of my experience today.

Namaste My Dear Friends.

Inspirational Thoughts/Tidbits for and about Life

"Showing gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other." ~Randy Pausch
Create a space in your home, small or large, that brings you peace. Load it up with things you love, pictures and quotes that inspire you, mementos from trips or friends. Each time you look at this space it will remind you to smile, breathe and feel grateful.

Check out this awesome studio! Take a class, get to know the amazing instructors and enjoy your journey of self discovery, pinklotusnj.com






No comments:

Post a Comment